Roger Bacon High School dedicates new atrium, chapel

Date Published: August 20, 2026

Roger Bacon High School in St. Bernard (Cincinnati), Ohio, marked a historical milestone on Aug. 11 with the dedication of the Anne Nurre Heidt Atrium and Our Lady of the Angels Chapel. Archbishop of Cincinnati Robert G. Casey presided at the Mass, celebrating the first dedicated chapel in the school’s nearly 100-year history.

During the liturgy, the altar was consecrated, officially marking the sacred space as a place of worship and prayer for the Roger Bacon community. The dedication coincided with the feast of St. Clare, highlighting the Franciscan values of prayer, humility and devotion that inspire the school community. A number of friars, including Provincial Councilor Br. Roger Lopez, OFM, who formerly ministered at the school, and representatives from the local Poor Clare community were present for Mass and the luncheon that followed.

The dedication also served as a milestone in the “We Are the Good Soil” capital campaign, which reached its $10 million goal and supports many of transformational investments in the Roger Bacon campus, including the new atrium and chapel, expanded parking, additional classroom space, campus improvements and scholarships.

“Rooted in faith, guided by humility and inspired by the spirit of St. Francis, we pray that this building and chapel will be a sanctuary of prayer, a home of peace and a beacon of joyful service,” said Roger Bacon President Steve Schad. “As Roger Bacon prepares to celebrate a century of God's faithfulness and dedicated service to our community, may this building and chapel stand as the cornerstone of our future.”

A space built to foster Franciscan values

Beyond the building itself, the new space represents the school’s commitment to providing students with an education rooted in Franciscan values and honors the legacy of St. Francis of Assisi and the friars.

A large mural highlights the enduring impact of the friars in Cincinnati and their various ministries over the years. Brothers Pat McCloskey, OFM, and Gene Mayer, OFM, who serves as an advancement specialist at Roger Bacon, provided assistance in researching and developing the mural. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
A large mural highlights the enduring impact of the friars in Cincinnati and their various ministries over the years. Brothers Pat McCloskey, OFM, and Gene Mayer, OFM, who serves as an advancement specialist at Roger Bacon, provided assistance in researching and developing the mural. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
A bronze plaque featuring the Franciscan Blessing and the San Damiano Cross above the chapel's main altar are reminders of the Franciscan spirit that continues to inspire the Roger Bacon community. (Photo courtesy of Michael Rademacher)
A bronze plaque featuring the Franciscan Blessing and the San Damiano Cross above the chapel's main altar are reminders of the Franciscan spirit that continues to inspire the Roger Bacon community. (Photo courtesy of Michael Rademacher)
A Tau cross - adopted by St. Francis as his signature symbol expressing penance and a life to devoted to peace, simplicity and service to God - serves as reliquary that contains relics from 82 saints. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
A Tau cross - adopted by St. Francis as his signature symbol expressing penance and a life to devoted to peace, simplicity and service to God - serves as reliquary that contains relics from 82 saints. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
Among the stained-glass windows incorporated into the chapel's design are Our Lady of Guadalupe, honoring the Franciscan province that sponsors the school, and the work of the friars from the time of St. Francis to present day. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
Among the stained-glass windows incorporated into the chapel's design are Our Lady of Guadalupe, honoring the Franciscan province that sponsors the school, and the work of the friars from the time of St. Francis to present day. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
Also present are stained glass windows of St. Francis and St. Patrick, both originally installed in the Third Order chapel at St. Patrick Church in Buffalo, New York, in 1892. The friars ministered there from 1858 to 1981, when the parish merged with St. Rita's. The windows were moved to St. Patrick's Friary, where the friars continued to serve until 2024. In this photo, Br. Jud Weiksnar, OFM, who served in Buffalo before moving to Cincinnati, is pictured here with the window of St. Francis. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Also present are stained glass windows of St. Francis and St. Patrick, both originally installed in the Third Order chapel at St. Patrick Church in Buffalo, New York, in 1892. The friars ministered there from 1858 to 1981, when the parish merged with St. Rita's. The windows were moved to St. Patrick's Friary, where the friars continued to serve until 2024. In this photo, Br. Jud Weiksnar, OFM, who served in Buffalo before moving to Cincinnati, is pictured here with the window of St. Francis. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
A large mural highlights the enduring impact of the friars in Cincinnati and their various ministries over the years. Brothers Pat McCloskey, OFM, and Gene Mayer, OFM, who serves as an advancement specialist at Roger Bacon, provided assistance in researching and developing the mural. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
A bronze plaque featuring the Franciscan Blessing and the San Damiano Cross above the chapel's main altar are reminders of the Franciscan spirit that continues to inspire the Roger Bacon community. (Photo courtesy of Michael Rademacher)
A Tau cross - adopted by St. Francis as his signature symbol expressing penance and a life to devoted to peace, simplicity and service to God - serves as reliquary that contains relics from 82 saints. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
Among the stained-glass windows incorporated into the chapel's design are Our Lady of Guadalupe, honoring the Franciscan province that sponsors the school, and the work of the friars from the time of St. Francis to present day. (Photo courtesy of Roger Bacon High School)
Also present are stained glass windows of St. Francis and St. Patrick, both originally installed in the Third Order chapel at St. Patrick Church in Buffalo, New York, in 1892. The friars ministered there from 1858 to 1981, when the parish merged with St. Rita's. The windows were moved to St. Patrick's Friary, where the friars continued to serve until 2024. In this photo, Br. Jud Weiksnar, OFM, who served in Buffalo before moving to Cincinnati, is pictured here with the window of St. Francis. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)

“The new space is absolutely beautiful, a wonderful addition to the school,” said Br. Jim Bok, OFM, past teacher and principal and current member of Roger Bacon’s board of directors. “I appreciate all the effort that went into making sure it’s very, very Franciscan.”

Br. Jim is especially excited that his great-nephew Charlie Strunc and his fiancé Bella Nye, both 2021 Bacon grads, will be the first Spartans (the school’s mascot) to be married in the chapel in January 2027. He will be the celebrant.

The new worship space is the fulfillment of a longtime dream for Br. Fred Link, OFM, who became involved with campus ministry at Roger Bacon during his tenure as pastor at nearby St. Clement Parish.

“It’s a beautiful space and it’s obvious it was designed with great care. It combines a contemporary, yet scared, style while also incorporating many aspects of Franciscan tradition and spirituality,” said Br. Fred, who serves on Roger Bacon’s board and Mission Enhancement Committee and had long promoted the need for a dedicated chapel at the school. “I pray that our students will embrace the opportunity to use the chapel for both group prayer and private visits with the Blessed Sacrament.”

Br. Fred is looking forward to celebrating the First Friday Mass for Roger Bacon alumni and friends in September.

Archbishop Robert Casey anoints the new chapel's altar using sacred chrism. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Archbishop Robert Casey anoints the new chapel's altar using sacred chrism. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Friars, Poor Clares, and Roger Bacon alumni and friends filled the new chapel for its dedication. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Friars, Poor Clares, and Roger Bacon alumni and friends filled the new chapel for its dedication. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Archbishop Robert Casey celebrates the first Mass in the new chapel alongside concelebrants Brothers Fred Link, OFM, Bill Farris, OFM, and Roger Lopez, OFM, and Deacon Joshua Richter, OFM. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Archbishop Robert Casey celebrates the first Mass in the new chapel alongside concelebrants Brothers Fred Link, OFM, Bill Farris, OFM, and Roger Lopez, OFM, and Deacon Joshua Richter, OFM. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Br. Jim Bok, OFM, left, a former principal and teacher and current board member of Roger Bacon, with Provincial Councilor Br. Roger Lopez, OFM, who formerly ministered at the school. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Br. Jim Bok, OFM, left, a former principal and teacher and current board member of Roger Bacon, with Provincial Councilor Br. Roger Lopez, OFM, who formerly ministered at the school. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Archbishop Robert Casey anoints the new chapel's altar using sacred chrism. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Friars, Poor Clares, and Roger Bacon alumni and friends filled the new chapel for its dedication. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Archbishop Robert Casey celebrates the first Mass in the new chapel alongside concelebrants Brothers Fred Link, OFM, Bill Farris, OFM, and Roger Lopez, OFM, and Deacon Joshua Richter, OFM. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
Br. Jim Bok, OFM, left, a former principal and teacher and current board member of Roger Bacon, with Provincial Councilor Br. Roger Lopez, OFM, who formerly ministered at the school. (Photo courtesy of Br. Frank Jasper, OFM)
‹ Previous